Assalam alaikum sisters,
Before we start learning Surah Kahf Inshaallah I wanted to discuss an important aspect of the benefits of memorising,difficulties experienced in memorising and solution for the same.
The reason I bought this topic was I have a thyroid disorder myself . Initial stages I suffered from symtoms like forgetting . And thus I know how forgetting things affect your productivity .But Alhamdulillah I have tried to overcome it and not let it affect my learning about Islam. Forgetting and unable to memorise something is quite common after children considering the rapid changes in our life. Its also found in aged woman. But primarily I believe learning cannot stop at any age . Alhamdulillah Islam is such a wide field of learning that you have to keep learning all your life. You are never a scholar. Its encouraging to see so many old woman coming to my hifdh class and I tell you they are no less in learning compared to younger girls Alhamdulillah . There maybe several reasons for your forgetfulness but with right approach you can overcome Inshaallah. Discussing below some tips for the same.
- Have faith in Allah . Make Duaa to Allah ( SWT). Have the intention to only please him.Start learning by saying Bismillah and also seek refuge from Shaytaan.
- Your memory is like a muscle: It needs training in order to develop.
- Have you seen some old iron objects which has not been used for a long time . It starts rusting. Same is for our brain. We are learning till our university days. After that there is no access to any sort of learning. So our memorising ability decreases.
- Learn by relating. Arabic is a new language to most of Asians. Primarily we do not understand it. My method is to open word to word quran translation when I am learning the Surah. It may take more time initially . But helps in the long run in helping you retain or remember surah. Start relating words with the meaning and then Inshaallah you shall not forget.
- Do not lose hope. Its human nature to forget.If you are getting confused initially be calm , you are going the right way
- Read it loud. There is an Aayat app available .It has a feature by which you can repeat after reciter. So Alhamdulillah you learn with tajweed. I prefer reciter Hushary. But no app is a substitute to a teacher . Its best to have a teacher Inshaallah.
- First try reading the Surah verse with tajweed several times . Then learn without seeing 10 times. Some people even write(Though I skip this step). Finally keep repeating the whole day. While cooking,doing your regular chores,travelling etc.
- HAve an accountability partner. It could be in the form of a group activity,friend partner . This is mainly to have discipline in case if one feels lazy alone. Remember Shaytaan shall lay his traps in different forms. Seek refuge in Allah and overcome Inshaallah.
- Once you have memorised ,read in your Salaah so you remember for a long time. .
- Remember benefits of memorising. Infact stick it somewhere near your workplace so that it keeps you motivated
- “If anyone learns by heart the first ten verses of the Surah al-Kahf, he will be protected from the Dajjal.” [Muslim]
- He who does not memorize any part from the Qur’an he is like the ruined house.[At-Tirmidhi]
- The more you memorize, the higher the rank. Recite and rise up, and be increased in reward with every Ayah.[Tirmidhi]
- The tenth verse is a wonderful dua which those young people of the cave (who Allah presented as role models for the youth) made . So every time you recite these verses, you make this dua also Our Lord! bestow on us Mercy from Thyself, and dispose of our affair for us in the right way!”